Skip to main content

Manage your References and Creative Commons

Sunflower by mrhayata, September 23, 2011, Flickr, CC BY-SA 2.0
Reference Management Software is an invaluable gift when you start with a PhD project.
I had been using "Cite This For Me". However, after exploring the alternative choices I reconsider and I chose Mendeley.  Mendeley combines the best features of several other tools and it has become "my invaluable gift" in managing my vast number of references in my PhD journey.

The opportunity of learning about Creative Common Licences and their use were very important for me as I love the idea of sharing my gallery content and being able to reuse online available images. CC licenses like Attribution, ShareAlike, NonComercial, and NonDerivatives can be used to free us and at the same time protect our rights as originators of our creative work.

According to the task I explored Flirck to find a nice image!
The above image was shared using a CC Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
As well, I used CC Attribution license on my blog page.


Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Begin...

Let's begin... I am a psychologist and recently a PhD student! I've never been interested in "social media" world and the idea of sharing my thoughts, my pictures, my songs, my life online. OK... I am on Facebook, Linkedin, Instagram, but I rarely share things... I prefer to live in the moment and don't stop a good time just to pull out my phone. I ask for real life, authentic people and deep thoughts. But now, living the dream of a first-year PhD student, maybe, it's the right time to see it in a more positive way, create my personal blog, upgrade my social media presence and share my research interests. I've embarked on 23 Things for Research to find out how the technological world of internet and social media could promote my professional profile as a researcher.  I am hoping next steps of these 23 Things give me more and more confidence to share my thoughts, my dreams, my interests with other people!!! 

Online means...

Looking at Wikipedia, exploring images online and finding presentations and podacsts are all things that I have met throughout my undergraduate and postgraduate studies. In particular, Wikipedia can be used as the starting point for many research and assignment topics. The information and sources, included in Wikipedia, are accurate and comprehensive. Wikipedia can provide a broad amount of content in the field of Psychology. Regarding the subject directly related to my research, the content was limited. However, Wikipedia is definitely a useful tool for providing the basic information about my project. As regards to the online images, I prefer google searching, Pinterest and Flickr focusing on these images that involve CC license. Furthermore, Instagram and Flickr are also useful for free sharing photos in public. In the course of my studies, I have used many times Power point and Prezi to present my research work at the University and Conferences. I have not used Podcast y

How to share research online.

Starting to consider the idea of sharing your research work online is a new opportunity for adapting my piece of scientific work to the public needs. Screencasts can help to share your research in the media world, while softwares like Google public data explorer visualises views and graphs to be better understood using plain language and simple figures. Personally, my first experience of sharing my PhD work in an international Conference was a  Powerpoint presentation. Powerpoint is the basic tool I have used to make and develop my presentations so far. I am also aware that Presi could be an alternative and I should invest some time weekly to learn how to use properly this tool. However, it may be worth giving Presi a second chance the next time I am going to present research data to a public audience!